Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Kids Gone Wild!

Kids today!

This week, two six-year-olds were suspended for using their fingers as guns while playing at recess. That sounds dangerous! I used to do that as a kid. I guess I am lucky I turned out okay. I don't even like guns. How weird! I got my adversaries every time; I was a good shot! I can't believe I'm not running the NRA by now.

A little boy in elementary school was suspended for three days for singing the song, "I'm sexy and I know it" to another little girl. When I was in Kindergarten, I kissed a boy in the cardboard train and all I got was a scolding and my M&M's taken away. I'm sure glad I didn't sing to him or I might have been in bigger trouble.

Another elementary student was suspended for two days for saying his teacher was "cute." Well, that was certainly out of line!

In another case, a seven-year-old kicked a bully in the groin when that bully had tried to choke him. He was suspended for sexual harassment. Good! Glad we have our priorities straight. I'd hate to think those Zero Tolerance Bullying Policies weren't effective.

And another--an Autistic boy was suspended for two days for coming too close to a female classmate. Good thing he didn't actually touch her or he might have been arrested.

When my daughter was in Kindergarten, two fifth-grade girls taught her about oral sex. I called the principal and was told that they were good girls, and that either my daughter or I was mistaken. No double standard there!

As you can see, our elementary school kids are out of control! From pretending, to singing, to being in proximity, to defending themselves, these kids just don't have their heads on straight! Where are their parents?

The list goes on. I could whine all day and not cover every ridiculous incident out there, and the numbers are growing.

Seriously, why are we attributing sexual urges and responses to children who don't even know what the word "sexual" means? How does it make sense to punish these children by kicking them out of school when we should be using these moments as teaching opportunities for the school, students, and parents? Oh my God! Did I just say we should teach kids in schools? I digress....

Don't misunderstand, sexual harassment is nothing to joke about, but neither is falsely accusing a child who has no grounds for defense nor intent to harm. We need to find some common sense--some perspective. Teach our kids what is a good touch and what is a bad touch, what is a good look and what is a bad look, etc. Parents need to stop inventing reasons to damage an innocent child's school record and self-esteem by irresponsibly accusing classmates. And elementary schools, if you are going to suspend students for defending themselves, or for looking at someone the wrong way, or pretending, then come up with a legitimate, effective policy or God forbid, teach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment