Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Where is a Special Ed Lawyer When You Need One?

Soooo......................

I've requested, in writing, the remainder of the school records that I asked for. Anyone able to guess what they told me?

In short, the answer was, "No." What? No one is shocked?

Neither was I, but the more I think about it, the more perturbed I get. (Perturbed has a stronger connotation in this case than its intended definition.) I was told I cannot have my son's special education records or IEP notes or testing evals. Somehow, they do not have the letter stating my son has Asperger's, even though they have made copies twice. I do have copies of the letter and the testings, but that is not the point.

Everyone with whom I have consulted has, in some fashion, told me to get a lawyer. Lawyers in other states have told me to get a lawyer. Parents insist on it. Fine. No problem. I would be delighted to! One teensy, tiny, little problem with that advice: There are no special education lawyers around here!

So, we are still pursuing this avenue. I have twenty tabs open on three computers of sites dedicated to IEPs and mediation, and special ed law, and state and federal regulations. I've spent hours researching. I've typed bazillions of emails. (DO NOT tell me that bazillions is not a word!) My brain hurts.

I wish I could go back to the brief moment in time when I was studying for the LSAT. I would become a special ed lawyer. I'd be swamped with cases, I am sure. Trouble is, I would make a lousy lawyer and until last month, I didn't even think about special ed beyond my son's own IEP. Oops! A costly learning moment there. Now I think about my son's struggles, possible retaliation on his sisters (unlikely, I know, but my mind goes there), and the struggles of the future little gifted Aspies that come to this school wreaking havoc on the school with their "bad behavior." I still think there are good schools in the district, but the one rep at our IEP meeting did not do them any favors in my book.

So, we are back to square one: no lawyers inside of a three hour drive, the district and school are still circling our wagon and farting in our general direction. And, to top it all off...there is no chocolate in my house right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment