Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"I Don't Want To Be Fixed!"

I took my son to the neurologist today. When he wondered why he was there, he asked, "Are they going to fix me? I don't want to be fixed!" He has learned to view his differences as gifts, or if not gifts, then the things that make him special and unique. Personally, I don't think he is broken. I think he is brave and just plain awesome. (And it turns out his brain is fine, too.)

Today was a rough day school-wise, the teachers are frustrated because he won't stop humming and blurting answers, but won't give him more challenging work because he refuses to focus and take notes (He has over 100% average in Social Studies. If it was that easy, I don't think I would take notes either). They keep him in the same PE class as his accuser and tell him, and I quote, "You'll just have to handle it." So from home, I am trying to back up his teachers why he has to take notes, and how he can improve so he will be ready for Middle School, but I cannot get his teachers to back him up. In all fairness, we have had some amazing teachers. I won't even say his current teacher is bad. However, I do think the culture that the school and certain members of the district office have created do not in any way provide appropriate education for ALL students. From what I understand, there are great schools in our district and I know of several phenomenal teachers, but right now, it is very difficult to support anyone at that school. This is SO FRUSTRATING! And what I really don't understand is how the district can blatantly thumb their noses at IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and there are no repercussions from the State or Federal levels. It makes me TWITCH!

Sorry, I really had no intention to start another rant. What I really wanted to do was share my son's blog, an interesting perspective into his world. He wants to be able to advocate for kids like him which is admirable. I am monitoring it with him, but the words are his own. He hates to write but wants to share, so I am supporting it. If you share or comment, please keep it clean and respectful. It's one thing to see it from Mom's point-of-view; quite another to get a glimpse through his window....


My World (and how it drives everyone nuts!!!) http://cehsworld.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment